TAYLOR COUNTY HISTORY
Taylor County was created by the Texas Legislature in 1858 from land previously part of Bexar County (and a very small portion from Travis County) and officially organized on July 3, 1878, electing the first county officials and naming Buffalo Gap as the County Seat.
The county is named for Edward Taylor, George Taylor, and James Taylor, three brothers who died at the Battle of the Alamo. The County Seat was moved to Abilene in 1883. More >